Updates from the LiveCode open source community
🎂 This Week in LiveCode is one year old!
Here are some highlights from our first year, in no particular order:
- Script Only Stacks
- Triangulation 235: Bill Fernandez (Apple employee #4) on LiveCode as the child of HyperCard
- Report from the Conference on Higher Education Pedagogy at Virginia Tech
- brimEng is a smartphone app for English language learning developed at Daffodil University, Dhaka
- Bézier Line Demo
- Exam results for students using LiveCode in Norway
- Interactive Tutorials
- What is “Open Language”?
- Bluetooth Controlled Lighted Gong: installation art with LiveCode
- Research presented at ICER2016 showed lower overall cognitive load for LiveCode developers
- LiveCode interface to SCORM /LIT: Building a Learning Management System with LiveCode
- Export PNG with alpha channel/mask
- use “” as an array key, and the difference between an empty string and “no value”
Updates in the LiveCode open source project
47 pull requests were merged since the last issue.
New LiveCode releases
- LiveCode 8.1.1-rc-1: Includes Xcode 8 deployment support
- Encode/decode HTML text transferred on the clipboard
- lc-compile: Print contextual information for each warning or error: Including the source line and an indication of exactly where the problem was found
Bug of the week
The reporter found that some comparisons involving raw binary data values were much slower in LiveCode 7+ than in LiveCode 6.7. The report contained a simple, helpful sample stack, a detailed recipe for reproducing the problem, and some results of comparison with previous versions of LiveCode. This made it possible to fix the problem promptly.
Want to get involved in the LiveCode open source project but don’t know where to start? Try one of these!
- (Easy) Inset the border path of the segmented control by the stroke width / 2
- (Easy) Add a default script for scroll bars
- (Easy) Document the scriptExecutionErrors property
- (Medium) Teach the Project Browser to show parent behaviours
- (Medium) Make guide outlines in the Dictionary expand/collapse with repeated clicks
- (Medium) Reduce whitespace in Dictionary
Contributors this week